A Warming Recipe for Healthy & Whole Dish – A Delectable Vegan Soup that Will Have You Coming Back for More.
You may notice that lentils are not the most prevalent item in American cuisine. Surprisingly enough, they are delicious and full of nutritious benefits, as well as easy on the ol’ bank account. Along with the rich and boastful flavors of butternut squash and savory spices, this vegan combination provides a heartiness to be desired by all.
Recipe makes 4 servings
• 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or oil of your choice!)
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1 cup dry red lentils
• 1 cup butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cubed
• 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• 1 pinch ground nutmeg
• Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, ginger and garlic until onion is tender.
- Mix the lentils, squash, and cilantro into the pot. Stir in the water, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.